How Do I Choose a Bariatric Surgeon?
Bariatric surgery is carried out by by many surgeons and teams. For the nest outcomes it is important to have the best, safest care.
What are the questions to ask?
- Does your surgeon and team submit all their data to the National Bariatric Surgery Register and can you see their outcomes on the NBSR website: https://nbsr.e-dendrite.com and are they a member of BOMSS (British Obesity Metabolic Surgery Society).
If you cannot find them on this site that is a real cause for concern.
- How experienced is your surgeon and team? Do they have an NHS practice as well as their private practice.
- Will you see a dietician and psychologist prior to and if needed after surgery? This is a National requirement.
- How and when will they follow you up?
- What happens if you have a complication of private surgery?
- Who and when can you call in an emergency in the first 30 days after surgery?
- Will you have a personal anaesthetic assessment prior to surgery and anaesthetic post operative care whilst being an in patient ?
- How does your surgeon reduce post operative pain?
- What is the specific speciality within bariatric surgery of your surgeon?
- What sort of patient testimonials does the surgeon have?
- Can the surgeon put you on touch with a few patients from previous surgeries?
- Who are the members of his multidisciplinary team?
- Which hospitals does he have affiliations with?
- Does your surgeon answer your questions honestly and seem interested in looking after you and not just operating on you?
- Will your surgeon and team adhere to the NICE guidelines for surgery?